A cop alleged to have opened fire on a hungry teenager has been sacked after a shooting rampage left the boy fighting for his life.
James Brennand was initially put on administrative leave after Erik Cantu, 17, was targeted while eating McDonald's in his car.
He was responding to a call when he spotted a car he believed had attempted to evade him the night before, said police in Texas.
READ MORE 'I give freed prisoners lifts from UK's most violent women's jail if I see them waiting'
San Antonio Police Department released Bodycam footage which seemed to show Brennand opening Erik's car door.
In the clip, the teen could be seen eating a hamburger alongside a female on Sunday, October 2.
After the officer ordered him out of the car, Erik put the vehicle in reverse with the door still open. The officer claimed the open door hit him as the vehicle moved.
Moments later, shots were fired at the car. The teenager then drove out of the parking lot while shots were still be fired.
The footage appeared to show 10 gun shots.
Erik and the 17-year-old female passenger were found outside of the vehicle about a block away.
The teenager suffered multiple gunshot wounds, according to police.
He was initially charged with evading detention in a vehicle and assault on a police officer, however, Joe Gonzales, Bexar County criminal district attorney, said the charges had been dismissed.
Devastated pals of woman horrifically injured in rollercoaster crash give update
The officer had been on the force for just seven months, reports Express.
The force fired him on Wednesday in relation to the incident for "violating department tactics, training and procedures", according to the department.
His office said in a statement: "While Sunday’s shooting of an unarmed teenager by a then-San Antonio Police officer remains under investigation, the facts and evidence we have received so far led us to reject the charges against Erik Cantu for further investigation.
"Once SAPD completes its investigation into the actions of former Officer James Brennand and submits the case to our office, our Civil Rights Division will fully review the filing.
"As we do with all officer-involved shootings that result in death or serious injury, we will submit the case to a Grand Jury for their consideration."
Mr Cantu's lawyer gave a statement on behalf of his family to ABC News which said he was "fighting for his life".
It said: "We thank you for the heartfelt thoughts on the status of Erik's recovery. We will inform you that he's still in critical condition and literally fighting for his life every minute of the day as his body has endured a tremendous amount of trauma.
"He is still on life support. We need all the blessing we can receive at this time. We kindly ask for privacy beyond this update as this is a delicate moment in our lives and we are focusing on one thing and that's getting him home."
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters here .
Brit spy found dead in bag padlocked from outside 'killed by Kremlin' ex-MP claims
- US and South Korea launch bombs in response to North Korea's latest missile
China promises Elon Musk he'll be 'taught a lesson' over Ukraine peace plans
- Elon Musk slammed for 'insane' Russia-Ukraine war Twitter poll by Volodymyr Zelenskyy
Source: Read Full Article