Two HMP Wandsworth guards suspended after being 'responsible over security of delivery van Daniel Khalife escaped under' | The Sun

TWO guards have been suspended from HMP Wandsworth following the escape of former soldier Daniel Khalife.

The terror suspect, 21, allegedly fled the South London jail under a food delivery truck on Wednesday.

Police are now probing whether Khalife had any help while he went on the run for four days in London.

Two Wandsworth employees who were responsible for overseeing security of the food truck have now been stood down, The Times reports.

A probe into the escape is focused on junior “operational support-grade” prison officers who are responsible for checking the underside of the lorry using mirrors, it is said.

Met Police commissioner Sir Mark Rowley confirmed last week the force are investigating whether Khalife had been helped by others.

Read more news

‘Spy’ represents escalation in China’s attempts to interfere with UK democracy

Terrorism fears as security breaches among Britain’s ‘nuclear police’ soar

Pressure is now mounting on the Prison Service after an inmate was stabbed at Wandsworth yesterday afternoon.

The 24-year-old was taken to hospital where his condition was described as non life-threatening.

The 1,300-capacity prison is notoriously prone to attacks among inmates.

Charlie Taylor, the Chief Inspector of Prisons, says guards used forced 1,295 times – during four incidents daily between 2020 and 2021.

Most read in The Sun


Former £5m home of Ant McPartlin and ex Lisa Armstrong goes up in flames


Quality Street brings back discontinued flavour after 20 years


Emmerdale’s Amy Walsh marries EastEnders star fiance in front of co-stars


I matched with Commons ‘spy’ on dating app, I re-read our texts and was shocked

Dozens of higher-risk lags have now been moved from the Category B prison following Khalife's escape.

He was arrested on a canal towpath in Northolt, West London, on Saturday morning – 12 miles away from the prison.

Khalife had a sleeping bag, change of clothes, bottle of water and a Waitrose cool bag which appeared to contain food.

His arrest brought an end to a 75-hour manhunt involving more than 150 anti-terror cops.

Khalife is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court today charged with escaping from custody.

Source: Read Full Article