Meghan and Harry’s Oprah interview ‘sparks Sky and ITV bidding war’

UK TV networks are clamouring to air Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's televised interview with American talk show host Oprah Winfrey, it has been reported.

CBS announced on Monday, February 15, that the 90-minute "Oprah with Meghan and Harry: A CBS Primetime Special" will air on March 7.

ITV and Sky are said to be locked in a bidding war to air the interview in the UK, US magazine Variety reports.

But the highly coveted sit-down will reportedly not be shown on the BBC, with a source telling the magazine that the public broadcaster is not involved in the process.

They told Variety: “The BBC is not involved in a bidding war on this.”

Will you be tuning in for the interview? Let us know in the comments below

Streaming giants Amazon Prime and Netflix are also said to not be in the running to air the interview.

Variety reports that ViacomCBS Global Distribution Group, which will be selling the program overseas, is keen for the interview to land on a free-to-air broadcaster, which it is reported would ensure "a significant profile in the UK".

The interview is said to have taken place last Tuesday, the day Harry’s grandfather, Prince Philip, was admitted to hospital “as a precautionary measure” after feeling unwell.

Winfrey is claimed to have spent two days with the Sussexes filming their primetime interview.

The couple’s interview is due to air on CBS at 8pm ET/PST, which will be 1am in the UK.

The interview had already been filmed before Buckingham Palace announced on Friday that the couple will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family.

  • Kate Middleton’s ‘secret fortune’ from before marrying Prince William

The couple will be stripped of their military titles and Royal patronages, which will be redistributed among working members of the Firm.

It is understood the couple spoke about their roles within the royal family which have “significantly” now altered since sitting down with the US chat shown queen.

Ideally, claimed one US TV insider, CBS would like to re-shoot some of the interview to discuss the changes that have now taken place, it has been reported.

A source told the Mirror: “When the Duke and Duchess spoke, it was never envisaged they would have their patronages taken away.

“They didn’t see it coming and spoke as they still had roles to play.

“Now, however, other than their titles, they are to have no role in royal life – a point producers know was not discussed when Winfrey spoke to them.

“Neither the Sussexes nor the TV crew saw the fallout of their interview leading to this. Harry and Meghan thought they would retain their roles.

“But things have significantly changed for them since they eagerly sat for Winfrey and poured their hearts out.”

Daily Star has approached ITV and Sky for comment.

Source: Read Full Article