Drunk man who killed his best friend with a single punch is jailed

Drunken reveller who killed his best friend with a single punch after ‘silly’ row is jailed for more than five years: Pal was found dead at home after ‘devastated’ killer begged him to ‘get up’ following booze-fuelled attack

  • Jay Webster, 28, was today jailed for more than five years for manslaughter
  • He pleaded guilty after punching his ‘best friend’ Benjamin Lloyd, 27 

A drunken reveller who killed his best friend with a single punch was today jailed for five years and three months. 

Jay Webster, 28, knocked his friend, Benjamin Lloyd, 27, to the floor causing him to hit his head on the pavement, after being turned away from a pub in Caerphilly, Wales. 

The two friends, who were described as being ‘like brothers,’ became embroiled in a ‘silly argument’ outside a library on 1 April this year, before Mr Lloyd was found dead in his home the following morning.

Cardiff Crown Court heard Webster was devastated by his friend’s death, and that he stood over Mr Lloyd, who he known for for two decades, frantically pleading with him to ‘Get up Ben. Get up’.

The 28-year-old, who said he was ‘nine out of ten drunk’ at the time of the incident, pleaded guilty to manslaughter following the booze-fuelled fight, that was caught on CCTV. 

Jay Webster, 28, (right) killed his ‘best friend’ Benjamin Lloyd, 27, (left) with a single punch in an an alcohol-fuelled fight in Caerphilly, Wales

The fatal attack saw Mr Lloyd fall back and hit his head on the pavement, where he lay unconscious for around three minutes. 

The 27-year-old later refused to get in an ambulance, and was instead taken home by police, before his father found him dead the following morning. 

Witness Curtis Jeremiah said: ‘I can recall Mr Lloyd hitting the ground hard and the noise was horrible. It was almost like the sound of a snap as his head hit the ground.’

Webster later left the scene, after telling onlookers he ‘did not mean to do it’, before heading to another pub. 

Prosecutor James Wilson said CCTV footage captured the moment the fight first broke out on 1 April this year.

He said: ‘The defendant pushes Mr Lloyd up against a window. Mr Lloyd takes two swings and misses.

‘The defendant punches Mr Lloyd to the left side of his face with his right fist and he falls to the ground.’

The court heard Webster told onlookers he ‘did not mean to do it’ after they had a ‘silly argument’ in Caerphilly, South Wales.

He stayed with his friend as witnesses called for an ambulance before Mr Lloyd regained consciousness after three minutes.

Webster left the scene before he made his way to a pub – and later visited the victim’s mother.

Mr Wilson said: ‘The defendant attended the home of Mr Lloyd’s mother Kay Main. She described Ben as having been a brilliant friend to the defendant.’

The court heard Webster told Ms Main: ‘I’m sorry, me and Ben had an argument.’

The two friends got into an alcohol-fuelled fight outside Caerphilly library (pictured) before Webster punched Mr Lloyd causing him to hit his head on the pavement

Mr Wilson said the worried mother called her daughter’s to tell them what had happened before putting an appeal on Facebook.

The court heard victim Mr Lloyd refused to wait for an ambulance at the scene but instead tried to get into a taxi.

Police arrived to find him with dried blood in his mouth before Mr Lloyd told officers he did not need medical assistance and did not want to make a complaint.

The court heard Mr Lloyd was taken home to his father’s house where he was urged to get medical attention by his worried family.

He refused help but instead went to bed while his father checked on him during the night.

Mr Wilson said: ‘His father kept an eye on Ben through the night but discovered him at about 9.30am unconscious. His father attempted CPR but sadly Ben passed away.’

The court heard Webster was arrested by officers later that day before he said to police: ‘He’s dead?’

He said he had been ‘nine out of ten drunk’ at the time and had delivered a ‘warning shot’ after Mr Lloyd had swung two punches first.

In a victim impact statement, Mr Lloyd’s mum Kay Main said: ‘Ben and Jay knew each other for about 20 odd years since they were six or seven.

‘The boys always got on really well so losing Ben and seeing Jay locked up was almost like I lost both of them.’

Ms Main said she did not ‘hold any malice’ towards Webster after believing her son’s death was an accident.

Webster, of Senghenydd, near Caerphilly, pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

Judge Tracey Lloyd-Clarke said the pair were ‘more like brothers’ before the horrific attack.

She said: ‘There is no doubt that Mr Lloyd was very much loved by his family and his friends including you.’

Benjamin Lloyd, 27, was found dead by his father the following morning

Webster was jailed for five years and three months.

Gwent Police referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct after officers were in contact contact with Ben before he died.

A spokesperson for the IOPC said: ‘We can confirm that we have received a mandatory referral from Gwent Police in relation to their contact with a man prior to him being found dead in Abertridwr.

‘We will now carry out an assessment to determine what further action may be required from us.’

In a tribute, Ben’s family described him as ‘one of life’s true gentlemen.’

‘Ben was so happy and positive all the time, he always walked with a spring in his step,’ they added.

‘A kind, hardworking and generous man who had a lot of friends. You would struggle to find anyone who had a bad word to say about Ben.

‘He leaves behind a very large number of family and friends who will feel his absence forever.

‘He was the most amazing son, brother and uncle.

‘Ben was always joking around and making light of every situation, he was such a bright star in this world and we are sure he will shine just as bright in the next.’

‘Ben was so happy and positive all the time, he always walked with a spring in his step.’

Source: Read Full Article