Dog owner’s warning to others after pooch picks up deadly contagious virus

A dog owner has issued a warning after her puppy contracted a contagious and potentially fatal disease.

Amy Riley, 25, was left devastated after her beloved pooch Cookie caught parvovirus earlier this month, leaving her to fight for her life.

Mum-of-one Amy believes the six-month-old pup caught the virus near Amy's home in Darwen, Lancashire, before she started vomiting on June 12, reports the Lancashire Telegraph.

READ MORE: Hero gran viciously mauled as she wrestled pit bull with bare hands to save grandkids

Amy took the canine to the vet, who initially thought she was suffering gastritis – but things quickly took a turn for the worse when the concerned owner noticed blood in Cookie's stools.

She said: "I took her to be reassessed by the vets, who then said it looked like she had parvovirus and needed to be admitted."

Amy didn't initially have enough money for Cookie to be admitted and so the pair were sent home with antibiotics, with vets hoping her condition would improve within three days.

However, the pup's condition continued to deteriorate.

"That night she became so weak, barely eating and drinking," Amy added. "She was still losing a lot of blood and was still vomiting."

  • Bloke who spent £12.5k to be a dog praised by fans for 'living out childhood dream'

On June 14 Amy's vet accepted a £100 deposit for Cookie's treatment.

So far the crossbreed has been fitted with a feeding tube and put on several medications, but she hasn't responded to them and is still vomiting and bleeding.

Amy added: "If you have a dog you know they become family. Myself and my four-year-old child just want her home."

Amy isn't only worried about Cookie's well-being – the cost of her treatment is also a growing concern.

The mum has already spent £1,000 on vet bills and said she has no money left for the rest of the month.

To help continue to fund her much-loved pet's treatment, Amy has launched a GoFundMe page where she has already raised nearly £5,000.

"If there is anyone out there that can donate anything, no matter how small, it will help," Amy added.

Parvovirus, also known as parvo, is a highly contagious disease is spread from dog to dog by direct or indirect contact with their faeces.

A spokesperson for the RSPCA said: "Parvovirus is a highly infectious disease in which the virus attacks cells in the dog’s intestines and stops them being able to absorb the vital nutrients they need.

"It quickly causes them to become weak and can prove fatal, particularly in puppies.

"Haemorrhagic diarrhoea can come on suddenly and causes vomiting and bloody diarrhoea.

"We would encourage owners to ensure their pets are vaccinated to help avoid the heartbreak of losing a much-loved pet to this awful disease."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article