THE BBC's investigation into accusations around presenter Huw Edwards could take months, the corporation's boss today revealed.
Tim Davie, the BBC Director General, faced questions in Parliament after The Sun published allegations that Edwards paid thousands to a teen, who sent him sexual images.
The suspended star's wife Vicky Flind later came forward and made a statement to confirm the BBC News at 10 presenter was facing the allegations.
Peers at Westminster this afternoon asked Davie how long it would take before the broadcaster had an update on their internal investigation.
The boss replied: “It could take a couple of months or even longer than that.”
He also revealed the BBC had brought in "external expertise" to look at the complaints process “to make sure we are properly held to account".
Read more on UK news
Parents of youngster at centre of Huw Edwards scandal consumed by fear & injustice
Huw Edwards was ‘being investigated by BBC reporters before Sun broke story’
The youngster's family reported their concerns to the BBC seven weeks ago, with The Sun revealing the parents alleged their child had sent sexual photos to Edwards.
This was the first of five public allegations the 61-year-old was faced with.
Speaking today, Davie said the recent events had been a "difficult affair".
He told Peers: "My main priority is to be fair, make sure we get all the information into that process and act judiciously."
Most read in The Sun
Alison and Dermot apologise after This Morning guest 'gets drunk' and swears
Huge high street fashion chain to shut more shops in weeks – is one going near you?
Brit pensioner, 83, SPLITS from toyboy, 37, after revealing sex life details
Husband, 84, shot dead wife who'd 'moved on with new man' in murder-suicide
Davie speaking publicly comes one week after he confirmed Edwards was not confronted about the “serious allegations” for seven weeks.
It has now been 11 days since The Sun revealed the accusations.
On the night Edwards' wife named him as the accused star, BBC revealed that he faced more allegations of inappropriate behaviour — this time towards his junior TV colleagues.
The Beeb then confirmed that it was pressing ahead with an investigation into serious allegations against the star, including payment of thousands of pounds to a vulnerable youngster with a spiralling drug addiction.
The decision came after police said they had found no evidence Edwards, 61, had committed a criminal offence.
Via a legal letter given to the BBC and broadcast on Monday last week, the youngster insisted nothing "unlawful” or “inappropriate” had happened between them and the presenter.
The parents of the youngster then told how they had spoken out to protect their child.
'WE ARE SO SAD'
They stood by their allegation that the top BBC star paid their child thousands.
The mum said: “It is sad but we stand by our account and we hope they get the help they need.
“We did this to help – and the presenter has got into their head. How did they afford a lawyer?
“We are so sad.”
The step-father added: “We are disappointed they made a statement. It’s not true.”
Edwards' wife said last week the suspended presenter was now receiving “in-patient hospital care” after suffering a “serious episode”.
The mum told how it had been “five extremely difficult days for our family”.
Mrs Flind wrote of her husband: “I am doing this primarily out of concern for his mental wellbeing and to protect our children. Huw is suffering from serious mental health issues.
Read More on The Sun
I’m a ‘body-fish’ – people love my pretty face but say it’s a shame about the rest
Love Island in shock mass dumping as FOUR islanders are axed
“As is well documented, he has been treated for severe depression in recent years.
“The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters. He has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving inpatient hospital care where he’ll stay for the foreseeable future.”
Source: Read Full Article